Debts and Deceased Estates 2023-01-19T11:36:35+09:30

What are debts and deceased estates?

A debt is where a person owes money to another person or organisation. Some examples of debts are money owed to Centrelink, a rental agreement for a fridge, a car loan, a phone bill, or money owed to a Government Department.

Fines are also a type of debt. A fine is a penalty for breaking the law, such as speeding, using drugs, and drinking in a public place. Fines can be issued by Courts, the Police, or another official such as a Council Ranger.

Deceased estates, also known as “Estates”, is legal process where an estate – meaning any property, money, debts or other items – is left behind when someone passes away. The law about deceased estates is different in every State and Territory in Australia.

Superannuation, also known as “super”, is a compulsory payment by an employer to an employee.  It is often tied to deceased estates. It is a long-term savings fund set up by the Australian Government to make sure that people have money for when they retire. Super sometimes includes types of insurance.

When should I get help with debts and deceased estates?

You might consider seeking legal advice if you answer “yes” to any of the below questions:

  • Have you received a fine that you don’t agree with?
  • Do you have fines that you are having problems paying?
  • Do you have someone chasing you for money, like a debt collector?
  • Do you have any troubles paying bills such as phone bills, electricity, water and gas?
  • Do you have a large credit card debt?
  • Have you been paying off something that is faulty?
  • Do you know where to find your superannuation benefits?
  • Is your superannuation spread across a number of accounts or funds?
  • Has your partner or an immediate family member passed away?
  • Do you need help with a deceased estate?

“Quick Exit” button

The TEWLS website has a “quick exit” button in the top right-hand corner of the page.

This button will close the TEWLS website and open the Bureau of Meteorology website. You may need to use this button if you are worried that someone is watching you use the computer or that you have been looking at the TEWLS website.

The “quick exit” button does not delete your browse history. This means that if someone checks your browser history, they will be able to see that you have visited then TEWLS website.

Do you speak a language other than English?

If you would like to speak to TEWLS with an interpreter:

You can call TEWLS on 1800 234 441 and ask to speak to us with an interpreter. We can organise this for free.You will need to tell us your name, your phone number and the language that you speak. We will then call you back with an interpreter on the phone.

TEWLS are able to organise interpreters for most languages, including Aboriginal languages and Auslan.

You can also organise for TEWLS to contact you:

To organise for TEWLS to contact you, please complete the form through the “Make an Appointment” button on the TEWLS home page.

Do you want to access the TEWLS website in a language other than English?

If you would like to listen to the TEWLS website in an
Aboriginal language:

TEWLS has had four Top End Aboriginal languages recorded for this website. You can click the “play” button to listen to these recordings.

The languages that are currently available are:

  • – Murrinh-Patha
  • – Tiwi
  • – Warlpiri
  • – Yolngu Matha

If you would like to read the TEWLS website in a language other than English:

The TEWLS website is able to be translated to lots of different languages. To change the language settings, press “Select Language” in the top bar and choose the language that you speak.

More about hiding your history

Remember, deleting large parts of your internet history may be dangerous. This is because it may tell someone that you do not want your internet history to be found.

If you need help with online safety and/or technological safety, you can visit the eSafety Commissioner website here or you can call 1800 RESPECT on their 24-hour telephone counselling and support service. If you are in danger, you should call the Police on 000.