Domestic, Family and Sexual Violence 2022-09-14T23:32:47+09:30

What is Domestic, Family and Sexual Violence?

Domestic, family and sexual violence is when someone in a domestic relationship with you, including a partner, family or housemate, makes you feel afraid, powerless or unsafe. Domestic, family and sexual violence can also happen after a relationship has ended, including an ex-partner, ex-girlfriend, or previous housemate.

Sexual violence can also occur outside of an existing or previous relationship.

Anyone can experience domestic, family and sexual violence – it happens to people of any age, culture, sex, and community.

Types of domestic and family violence can include:

  • Psychological and emotional violence – humiliation, intimidation, control over movements, humbugging
  • Physical violence – hitting and punching
  • Sexual violence – rape or inappropriate touching
  • Financial violence – controlling your money
  • Verbal violence – calling you names and swearing at you
  • Cultural violence – being rude about your culture and stopping your cultural practise
  • Stalking – following you, calling you or texting you when you’ve told them to stop
  • Damaging your property, including your house or pets
  • Threatening to do any of the above 

You and your family members have a human right to feel safe and live without fear. When someone perpetrates domestic, family and sexual violence, it is the offender’s fault and they are breaking the law.

Mandatory reporting in the Northern Territory

In the Northern Territory, it is the law that you must report domestic and family violence if someone has or is likely to cause serious physical harm to a person, or if you are concerned that a person’s life is under serious or imminent threat – this is known as mandatory reporting.

Mandatory reporting incidents must be reported to the Police. If you fail to make a mandatory report and you should have, you may be charged with an offence.

When should I get help with domestic, family and sexual violence?

If you are in danger, you should call Police on 000 or 131 444.

You might consider seeking legal advice if you answer “yes” to any of the below questions:

  • Do you have fears for your safety?
  • Have you experienced domestic, family and sexual violence?
  • Do you want information about domestic violence orders (DVO)?
  • Has someone broken the rules of a DVO that protects you?
  • Do you want information about the criminal process regarding reporting domestic, family and sexual violence?
  • Do you want information about personal violence restraining orders (PVRO)?

“Quick Exit” button

The TEWLS website has a “quick exit” button in the top right-hand corner of the page.

This button will close the TEWLS website and open the Bureau of Meteorology website. You may need to use this button if you are worried that someone is watching you use the computer or that you have been looking at the TEWLS website.

The “quick exit” button does not delete your browse history. This means that if someone checks your browser history, they will be able to see that you have visited then TEWLS website.

Do you speak a language other than English?

If you would like to speak to TEWLS with an interpreter:

You can call TEWLS on 1800 234 441 and ask to speak to us with an interpreter. We can organise this for free.You will need to tell us your name, your phone number and the language that you speak. We will then call you back with an interpreter on the phone.

TEWLS are able to organise interpreters for most languages, including Aboriginal languages and Auslan.

You can also organise for TEWLS to contact you:

To organise for TEWLS to contact you, please complete the form through the “Make an Appointment” button on the TEWLS home page.

Do you want to access the TEWLS website in a language other than English?

If you would like to listen to the TEWLS website in an
Aboriginal language:

TEWLS has had four Top End Aboriginal languages recorded for this website. You can click the “play” button to listen to these recordings.

The languages that are currently available are:

  • – Murrinh-Patha
  • – Tiwi
  • – Warlpiri
  • – Yolngu Matha

If you would like to read the TEWLS website in a language other than English:

The TEWLS website is able to be translated to lots of different languages. To change the language settings, press “Select Language” in the top bar and choose the language that you speak.

More about hiding your history

Remember, deleting large parts of your internet history may be dangerous. This is because it may tell someone that you do not want your internet history to be found.

If you need help with online safety and/or technological safety, you can visit the eSafety Commissioner website here or you can call 1800 RESPECT on their 24-hour telephone counselling and support service. If you are in danger, you should call the Police on 000.