Solicitor & Project Officer
12 month contract for service
1+ years PAE
Are you a solicitor with one or more years PAE and a commitment to women’s issues? The Top End Women’s Legal Service Inc. (TEWLS) is seeking a Solicitor & Project Officer to join our vibrant, busy and dedicated practice.
TEWLS is a not for profit specialist women’s legal service providing free legal services for women in the Top End of the Northern Territory. Our purpose is to advocate to achieve justice for women, to promote women’s human rights, and to redress inequalities experienced by women.
TEWLS provides high quality, responsive and culturally appropriate legal advice, casework and representation, community legal education, and advocacy in the areas of civil and family law to women living in the Greater Darwin region. TEWLS is able to provide free legal advice to all women, or persons identifying as women, regardless of their circumstances.
TEWLS’ vision is a community in which women enjoy and are entitled to legal and social justice.
About the position
The Solicitor & Project Officer reports to the Managing Solicitor, and will:
- Provide general legal advice to women at free legal advice clinics.
- Provide an outreach legal advice and casework service to women within the Darwin Region.
- With the assistance of other TEWLS staff, identity the legal issues relevant to women within the Darwin region and develop law reform projects in these areas.
- Provide TEWLS with feedback on a regular basis concerning the legal needs of women within the Darwin region.
- With the assistance of other TEWLS staff, identify the legal issues relevant to women within the Darwin region and develop and present appropriate community legal education seminars and materials in these areas.
- Liaise and meet regularly with key stakeholders who work with women within the Darwin region.
- Represent TEWLS at meetings as required.
- Undertake personal administrative duties within TEWLS as required.
- Participate in staff meetings and other TEWLS planning activities.
- Other duties as direct by the Managing Solicitor.
If you wish to apply for the position and join a small energised, collegiate, and high achieving team, please submit a resume and accompanying statement addressing both essential and desirable selection criteria by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, Attn: Vanessa Lethlean.
Applications close 12:00am ACST 26 April 2020.
If you want to get involved in the work of TEWLS, we would love your support! You can find more information about volunteering, as well as internship and placement opportunities here.