Complaints 2023-01-19T13:16:58+09:30

What are complaints?

A complaint is a statement that you can make about something that has been unacceptable or unsatisfactory for you. Complaints can be about someone not following the rules, someone being treated unfairly, or other things.

People can make complaints about lots of different things in different ways. Generally, the most common requests for legal advice about complaints are for:

  • Complaints about Police
  • Complaints about a health service
  • Complaints about a private lawyer

People can also make complaints against a financial institution (such as a bank) or consumer provider (such as a rental company), among others. A lawyer can help you to determine what type of complaint is appropriate for your situation. You can also make a complaint about being treated unfairly because of things like your race, sex, pregnancy or religious belief – complaints about this treatment are called “discrimination” complaints.

When should I get help with complaints?

You might consider seeking legal advice if you answer “yes” to any of the below questions:

  • Has an individual, organisation or a Government Department treated you unfairly?
  • Have you been discriminated against and need to make a complaint?
  • Has something happened with Police that you want to make a complaint about?
  • Have you seen a private lawyer and you want to make a complaint about their services?

“Quick Exit” button

The TEWLS website has a “quick exit” button in the top right-hand corner of the page.

This button will close the TEWLS website and open the Bureau of Meteorology website. You may need to use this button if you are worried that someone is watching you use the computer or that you have been looking at the TEWLS website.

The “quick exit” button does not delete your browse history. This means that if someone checks your browser history, they will be able to see that you have visited then TEWLS website.

Do you speak a language other than English?

If you would like to speak to TEWLS with an interpreter:

You can call TEWLS on 1800 234 441 and ask to speak to us with an interpreter. We can organise this for free.You will need to tell us your name, your phone number and the language that you speak. We will then call you back with an interpreter on the phone.

TEWLS are able to organise interpreters for most languages, including Aboriginal languages and Auslan.

You can also organise for TEWLS to contact you:

To organise for TEWLS to contact you, please complete the form through the “Make an Appointment” button on the TEWLS home page.

Do you want to access the TEWLS website in a language other than English?

If you would like to listen to the TEWLS website in an
Aboriginal language:

TEWLS has had four Top End Aboriginal languages recorded for this website. You can click the “play” button to listen to these recordings.

The languages that are currently available are:

  • – Murrinh-Patha
  • – Tiwi
  • – Warlpiri
  • – Yolngu Matha

If you would like to read the TEWLS website in a language other than English:

The TEWLS website is able to be translated to lots of different languages. To change the language settings, press “Select Language” in the top bar and choose the language that you speak.

More about hiding your history

Remember, deleting large parts of your internet history may be dangerous. This is because it may tell someone that you do not want your internet history to be found.

If you need help with online safety and/or technological safety, you can visit the eSafety Commissioner website here or you can call 1800 RESPECT on their 24-hour telephone counselling and support service. If you are in danger, you should call the Police on 000.