Accessibility 1

Migration Law

Migration law is the law about people entering and remaining in Australia. You might need to seek help with migration law if you have questions about your visa or want to know if your visa will be affected by separation, family violence, or other changes to your family situation.  

There are special rules about who can give migration law advice – if you need migration law advice, you should see a migration lawyer (including TEWLS) or a registered migration agent. 

Side Cta Leaf
Advancing Women’s Rights

Free legal help for women & non-binary persons

Migration law and domestic, family, and sexual violence

The Australian Government has zero tolerance for domestic, family, and sexual violence against anyone, including permanent and temporary visa holders. 

No one has to remain in a violent or dangerous relationship for a visa outcome.   

Getting help and telling people about your experiences of domestic and family violence will not cancel or cause problems for your visa.  

The perpetrator of domestic and family violence cannot deport you or cancel your visa. 

You can learn more about visas and domestic, family and sexual violence by reading our factsheet here.

Who can we help?

TEWLS can help women and non-binary persons in the Northern Territory who: 

TEWLS can provide free legal help for problems about migration law, family law, and domestic, family, and sexual violence, as well as any other related civil law issues. This can include legal advice, ongoing representation (including court work), and referrals if necessary.

For migration matters, we can help with:

The TEWLS Temporary Visa Holders Experiencing Violence Pilot (the Pilot)

As part of an Australia-wide Pilot, TEWLS is funded by the Commonwealth Department of Social Services to support women across the Northern Territory with migration law issues. 

Financial assistance by the Red Cross

Under the Pilot, the Red Cross can provide grants of up to $5,000.00 in financial assistance to cover immediate expenses. 

For more information about the Migration and Family and Domestic Violence Financial Assistance Program, please see here.

How can I refer someone, including myself, into the Pilot?

To make a referral to the Pilot, including self-referrals, please complete the Pilot referral form here and email it to TEWLS’ Pilot team at

If you need help completing the referral or have any questions about the Pilot, you can contact TEWLS by email to or phone on (08) 8982 3000.

You might want to seek legal help if you answer ‘yes’ to any of the below questions: 

Side Cta Leaf
Advancing Women’s Rights

Free legal help for women & non-binary persons

Cta Bg
Advancing Women’s Rights
Free legal help for women & non-binary persons


The TEWLS website has a “quick exit” button in the top right-hand corner of the page.

This button will close the TEWLS website and open the Bureau of Meteorology website. You may need to use this button if you are worried that someone is watching you use the computer or that you have been looking at the TEWLS website.

The “quick exit” button does not delete your browser history. This means that if someone checks your browser history, they will be able to see that you have visited the TEWLS website.


Remember, deleting large parts of your internet history may be dangerous. This is because it may tell someone that you do not want your internet history to be found.

If you need help with online safety and/or technological safety, you can visit the eSafety Commissioner website here or you can call 1800 RESPECT on their 24-hour telephone counselling and support service. If you are in danger, you should call the Police on 000.


If you would like to speak to TEWLS with an interpreter:

You can call TEWLS on 1800 234 441 and ask to speak to us with an interpreter. We can organise this for free. You will need to tell us your name, your phone number and the language that you speak. We will then call you back with an interpreter on the phone.

TEWLS are able to organise interpreters for most languages, including Aboriginal languages and Auslan.


You can also organise for TEWLS to contact you:

To organise for TEWLS to contact you, please complete the form through the Request An Appointment button on the TEWLS home page.


If you would like to listen to the TEWLS website in an
Aboriginal language:

TEWLS has had four Top End Aboriginal languages recorded for this website. You can click the “play” button to listen to these recordings.

The languages that are currently available are:

  • Murrinh-Patha
  • Tiwi
  • Warlpiri
  • Yolngu Matha

If you would like to read the TEWLS website in a language other than English:

The TEWLS website is able to be translated to lots of different languages. To change the language settings, press the “English” button in the top bar of the website and choose the language that you speak.
Skip to content