What is Family Law?
Family Law includes legal matters about relationships, children and property. Generally, family law matters can be separated into four sections, which are:
TEWLS has produced a series of free fact sheets about these four areas of family law to provide information and guidance to women about the law. To access these factsheets, go to the Factsheets section of the TEWLS website.
TEWLS can also provide advice and limited assistance in child protection matters (being matters involving the Department of Territory Families, Housing and Communities). For more information, please contact TEWLS.
When should I get help with Family Law?
You might consider seeking legal advice if you answer “yes” to any of the below questions:
- Do you want to separate from your partner, but don’t know what to do next?
- Do you want to apply for a divorce from your former spouse?
- Do you have problems about parenting arrangements?
- Do you need help making decisions about your children?
- Do you want to sort out dividing the property with your partner?
- Do you want to take your children interstate or overseas without your partner?