Migration Law 2023-01-19T13:40:13+09:30

What is Migration Law?

Migration Law regulates rights around people entering and remaining in Australia. There are special requirements about giving Migration Law advice – we strongly recommend seeing a migration lawyer (including TEWLS) or a registered migration agent.

Some examples of Migration Law matters include questions about a visa, changes to family circumstances, and impacts of domestic, family and sexual violence.

The TEWLS Temporary Visa Holders Experiencing Violence Pilot

As part of an Australia-wide Pilot, TEWLS is funded by the Commonwealth Department of Social Services to support people identifying as women in the Northern Territory with Migration Law.

Who can we help?

TEWLS can help people identifying as women in the Northern Territory who –

  • Hold a temporary visa or have no visa; AND
  • Are escaping a violent relationship (experiencing domestic, family and sexual violence).

How can we help?

TEWLS can provide free, holistic and wrap-around assistance for migration, family and civil law matters related to domestic, family and sexual violence. Our assistance includes providing legal advice and support, ongoing representation and casework assistance (including court work), and information and referrals, as applicable.

For migration matters, we are able to provide the following services –

  • Reviews of visa options and pathways;
  • Visa applications;
  • Representation in matters involving the Department of Home Affairs, as well as tribunal and court matters; and
  • Requests for Ministerial Intervention.

Financial assistance by the Red Cross

Under the Pilot, the Red Cross can provide grated of up to $3,000.00 in financial assistance to cover immediate expenses.

For more information about the Migration and Family and Domestic Violence Financial Assistance Program, please see here.

How can I refer someone, including myself, into the Pilot?

To make a referral to the Pilot, including self-referrals, please complete the Pilot referral form here and email it to TEWLS’ Pilot team at intake.visas@tewls.org.au.

If you need help completing the referral or have any questions about the Pilot, you can contact TEWLS by email to admin@tewls.org.au or phone on (08) 8982 3000.

“Quick Exit” button

The TEWLS website has a “quick exit” button in the top right-hand corner of the page.

This button will close the TEWLS website and open the Bureau of Meteorology website. You may need to use this button if you are worried that someone is watching you use the computer or that you have been looking at the TEWLS website.

The “quick exit” button does not delete your browse history. This means that if someone checks your browser history, they will be able to see that you have visited then TEWLS website.

Do you speak a language other than English?

If you would like to speak to TEWLS with an interpreter:

You can call TEWLS on 1800 234 441 and ask to speak to us with an interpreter. We can organise this for free.You will need to tell us your name, your phone number and the language that you speak. We will then call you back with an interpreter on the phone.

TEWLS are able to organise interpreters for most languages, including Aboriginal languages and Auslan.

You can also organise for TEWLS to contact you:

To organise for TEWLS to contact you, please complete the form through the “Make an Appointment” button on the TEWLS home page.

Do you want to access the TEWLS website in a language other than English?

If you would like to listen to the TEWLS website in an
Aboriginal language:

TEWLS has had four Top End Aboriginal languages recorded for this website. You can click the “play” button to listen to these recordings.

The languages that are currently available are:

  • – Murrinh-Patha
  • – Tiwi
  • – Warlpiri
  • – Yolngu Matha

If you would like to read the TEWLS website in a language other than English:

The TEWLS website is able to be translated to lots of different languages. To change the language settings, press “Select Language” in the top bar and choose the language that you speak.

More about hiding your history

Remember, deleting large parts of your internet history may be dangerous. This is because it may tell someone that you do not want your internet history to be found.

If you need help with online safety and/or technological safety, you can visit the eSafety Commissioner website here or you can call 1800 RESPECT on their 24-hour telephone counselling and support service. If you are in danger, you should call the Police on 000.