Tenancy 2019-06-22T16:30:35+09:30

What is tenancy?

Whether you live in public housing or rent through a private landlord, you will have a “tenancy” – an agreement for you to live in your house in exchange for the payment of rent, among other things. Sometimes this agreement will be known as a housing agreement or a rental agreement, and your tenancy known as renting.

In the Northern Territory, there are two types of tenancies:

  1. Public tenancies – tenancies through the Department of Housing and Community Development (known as the “Department of Housing”)
  2. Private tenancies – tenancies through a private landlord, real estate agent on behalf of a landlord or a sub-tenancy

When should I get help with tenancy?

You might consider seeking legal advice if you answer “yes” to any of the below questions:

  • Are you renting where you live and having problems?
  • Do you have any problems with your landlord?
  • Are you on a tenancy blacklist?
  • Does where you live have problems or repairs that need to be fixed?
  • Do you live in a crowded house with too many people?

Unfortunately, TEWLS is unable to give legal advice to landlords in tenancy matters.

“Quick Exit” button

The TEWLS website has a “quick exit” button in the top right-hand corner of the page.

This button will close the TEWLS website and open the Bureau of Meteorology website. You may need to use this button if you are worried that someone is watching you use the computer or that you have been looking at the TEWLS website.

The “quick exit” button does not delete your browse history. This means that if someone checks your browser history, they will be able to see that you have visited then TEWLS website.

Do you speak a language other than English?

If you would like to speak to TEWLS with an interpreter:

You can call TEWLS on 1800 234 441 and ask to speak to us with an interpreter. We can organise this for free.You will need to tell us your name, your phone number and the language that you speak. We will then call you back with an interpreter on the phone.

TEWLS are able to organise interpreters for most languages, including Aboriginal languages and Auslan.

You can also organise for TEWLS to contact you:

To organise for TEWLS to contact you, please complete the form through the “Make an Appointment” button on the TEWLS home page.

Do you want to access the TEWLS website in a language other than English?

If you would like to listen to the TEWLS website in an
Aboriginal language:

TEWLS has had four Top End Aboriginal languages recorded for this website. You can click the “play” button to listen to these recordings.

The languages that are currently available are:

  • – Murrinh-Patha
  • – Tiwi
  • – Warlpiri
  • – Yolngu Matha

If you would like to read the TEWLS website in a language other than English:

The TEWLS website is able to be translated to lots of different languages. To change the language settings, press “Select Language” in the top bar and choose the language that you speak.

More about hiding your history

Remember, deleting large parts of your internet history may be dangerous. This is because it may tell someone that you do not want your internet history to be found.

If you need help with online safety and/or technological safety, you can visit the eSafety Commissioner website here or you can call 1800 RESPECT on their 24-hour telephone counselling and support service. If you are in danger, you should call the Police on 000.