TEWLS provides free legal advice for all women in the Top End.
TEWLS can help you with your legal matters – we can help you to understand what the law is and how it works, as well as your rights, responsibilities and options under the law.
- Give free legal advice to all women or people who identify as women;
- Give free legal information and referral services to all women or people who identify as women;
- Provide free legal casework and representation services on a case-by-case basis;
- Provide community legal education; and
- Advocate on behalf of women about systemic issues and/or issues of significance for women, including via law reform submissions and public campaigns.
Women who access our service commonly ask for help with the following issues, among others:
- Separation from a spouse or partner;
- Problems with co-parenting with a current or former spouse or partner;
- Experiences of domestic and family violence and/or sexual assault, including applications for compensation, domestic violence order (DVO) applications,
talking with Police and being involved with the Courts;
- Problems with personal violence matters, including issues between neighbours, work colleagues, and people not otherwise related to you;
- Problems with financial matters, including debts, consumer contracts and fines;
- Problems with discrimination, including discrimination on the basis of sex, gender and parenthood, racial discrimination and disability discrimination; and
- Problems with lost superannuation, including superannuation attached to a deceased estate.
TEWLS cannot help with short-term housing or accommodation, or provide food vouchers.
For more information about where you can get help for non-legal matters, please see Other Useful Contacts.