How We Can Help 2023-12-04T08:36:54+09:30

TEWLS provides free legal advice for all women in the Top End.

TEWLS can help you with your legal matters – we can help you to understand what the law is and how it works, as well as your rights, responsibilities and options under the law.

TEWLS can:

  • Give free legal advice to all women or people who identify as women;
  • Provide free legal casework and representation services on a case-by-case basis;
  • Give free legal information and referral services to all women or people who identify as women;
  • Provide community legal education; and
  • Advocate on behalf of women about systemic issues and/or issues of significance for women, including via law reform submissions and public campaigns.

Women who access our service commonly ask for help with the following issues, among others:

  • Separation from a spouse or partner, including safety planning and considerations, parenting, property and divorce matters;
  • Problems with co-parenting with a current or former spouse or partner;
  • Experiences of domestic, family and sexual violence and/or sexual assault, including applications for compensation, domestic violence order (DVO) applications, talking with Police and being involved with the Courts;
  • Problems with personal violence matters, including issues between neighbours, work colleagues, and people not otherwise related to you;
  • Problems with financial matters, including debts, consumer contracts and fines;
  • Problems with discrimination, including discrimination on the basis of sex, gender and parenthood, racial discrimination and disability discrimination; and
  • Problems with migration law for persons holding either a temporary or no visa;
  • Problems with employment law, particularly in respect of sexual harassment and discrimination; and
  • Problems with lost superannuation, including superannuation attached to a deceased estate.

TEWLS cannot help with short-term housing or accommodation, or provide food vouchers.

For more information about where you can get help for non-legal matters, please see Other Useful Contacts.

“Quick Exit” button

The TEWLS website has a “quick exit” button in the top right-hand corner of the page.

This button will close the TEWLS website and open the Bureau of Meteorology website. You may need to use this button if you are worried that someone is watching you use the computer or that you have been looking at the TEWLS website.

The “quick exit” button does not delete your browse history. This means that if someone checks your browser history, they will be able to see that you have visited then TEWLS website.

Do you speak a language other than English?

If you would like to speak to TEWLS with an interpreter:

You can call TEWLS on 1800 234 441 and ask to speak to us with an interpreter. We can organise this for free.You will need to tell us your name, your phone number and the language that you speak. We will then call you back with an interpreter on the phone.

TEWLS are able to organise interpreters for most languages, including Aboriginal languages and Auslan.

You can also organise for TEWLS to contact you:

To organise for TEWLS to contact you, please complete the form through the “Make an Appointment” button on the TEWLS home page.

Do you want to access the TEWLS website in a language other than English?

If you would like to listen to the TEWLS website in an
Aboriginal language:

TEWLS has had four Top End Aboriginal languages recorded for this website. You can click the “play” button to listen to these recordings.

The languages that are currently available are:

  • – Murrinh-Patha
  • – Tiwi
  • – Warlpiri
  • – Yolngu Matha

If you would like to read the TEWLS website in a language other than English:

The TEWLS website is able to be translated to lots of different languages. To change the language settings, press “Select Language” in the top bar and choose the language that you speak.

More about hiding your history

Remember, deleting large parts of your internet history may be dangerous. This is because it may tell someone that you do not want your internet history to be found.

If you need help with online safety and/or technological safety, you can visit the eSafety Commissioner website here or you can call 1800 RESPECT on their 24-hour telephone counselling and support service. If you are in danger, you should call the Police on 000.