How we can help 2019-02-12T16:45:06+09:30

If you have a legal problem, or want to find out information about the law, Top End Women’s Legal Service may be able to help.
TEWLS provides free confidential legal assistance including information, referral, advicee and representation to women in civil and family law matters.
TEWLS is able to provide a one off free legal advice to all women. Depending on your individual circumstances, we may be able to provide you with ongoing assistance in casework or representation.

Legal Services

TEWLS provides free legal advice and information, casework assistance and in some circumstances legal representation at NTCAT and Court.
TEWLS can provide assistance on most civil law issues, including family law, and victims of crime compensation.

  • Family law;
  • Domestic and family violence;
  • Housing and tenancy;
  • Consumer law;
  • Debts, fines and welfare rights;
  • Sexual assault;
  • Discrimination;
  • Compensation for victims of crime; and
  • Complaints about government and other services.

To read more about our legal services, please click here.

Community Outreach

TEWLS regularly travels out to the following communities to assist women living remotely in the Top End. To find out more about TEWLS remote community visits, or if you would like TEWLS to visit your community, please get in contact with us on (08) 8982 3000.
To read more about our community outreach, please click here.

Community Legal Education

Our Community Legal Education program aims to inform women in the Top End of the legal system and their rights and responsibilities as part of that legal system, resulting in increased empowerment.
For more information about our community legal education, please click here.

Information, factsheets and guides

We know that leaving a legal appointment can be quite overwhelming because you receive a lot of information all at the same time. Due to this, TEWLS had produced a range of informative factsheets, guides and a booklet to inform women in written form of their rights.
Please find a full list of our publications on the publications page of this website, click here

“Quick Exit” button

The TEWLS website has a “quick exit” button in the top right-hand corner of the page.

This button will close the TEWLS website and open the Bureau of Meteorology website. You may need to use this button if you are worried that someone is watching you use the computer or that you have been looking at the TEWLS website.

The “quick exit” button does not delete your browse history. This means that if someone checks your browser history, they will be able to see that you have visited then TEWLS website.

Do you speak a language other than English?

If you would like to speak to TEWLS with an interpreter:

You can call TEWLS on 1800 234 441 and ask to speak to us with an interpreter. We can organise this for free.You will need to tell us your name, your phone number and the language that you speak. We will then call you back with an interpreter on the phone.

TEWLS are able to organise interpreters for most languages, including Aboriginal languages and Auslan.

You can also organise for TEWLS to contact you:

To organise for TEWLS to contact you, please complete the form through the “Make an Appointment” button on the TEWLS home page.

Do you want to access the TEWLS website in a language other than English?

If you would like to listen to the TEWLS website in an
Aboriginal language:

TEWLS has had four Top End Aboriginal languages recorded for this website. You can click the “play” button to listen to these recordings.

The languages that are currently available are:

  • – Murrinh-Patha
  • – Tiwi
  • – Warlpiri
  • – Yolngu Matha

If you would like to read the TEWLS website in a language other than English:

The TEWLS website is able to be translated to lots of different languages. To change the language settings, press “Select Language” in the top bar and choose the language that you speak.

More about hiding your history

Remember, deleting large parts of your internet history may be dangerous. This is because it may tell someone that you do not want your internet history to be found.

If you need help with online safety and/or technological safety, you can visit the eSafety Commissioner website here or you can call 1800 RESPECT on their 24-hour telephone counselling and support service. If you are in danger, you should call the Police on 000.